Recently, Numr conducted a survey about online grocery apps and supermarkets. This survey revealed some interesting insights. Undoubtedly, Grocery is the largest online segment, after electronics and fashion. While, the battle for domination of e-retail is largely consolidated between Flipkart and Amazon, the story is a little different for grocery. Furthermore, according to a report, the Indian online grocery market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 55% through 2021.
Therefore, find the complete report below-
ONLINE GROCERY MARKET
PART 1- ONLINE GROCERY MARKET SHARE
Which app(s) do you usually use for online grocery shopping?
Thus, according to the result of the survey,
- Big Basket is the market leader with 28% of the total share.
- However, Amazon Pantry is a close second with 23%.
- And, Grofers is lagging behind both, with 15%
- Surprisingly, Reliance Fresh also managed to accumulate a share of 11%.
PART 2-NPS® OF ONLINE GROCERY APPS
- Amazon Pantry scored the highest Net Promoter Score of 69.29
- Following closely, Big Basket came second with an NPS measuring 61.54.
- And, Grofers was a close third with an NPS of 61.14
- Moreover, Reliance Fresh followed with NPS equaling 55.91
- Also, the NPS for Nature’s Basket was 49.09 ,
- While, for Spencer’s retail, it measured 44.6
OFFLINE GROCERY (SUPERMARKETS AND MODERN TRADE)
Unsurprisingly, modern trade now accounts for 10% of the total revenue of the FMCG sector.
Therefore, given below are the insights uncovered by Numr Research.
PART 1- MARKET SHARE OF SUPERMARKETS
PART 2- NPS® (SUPERMARKETS AND MODERN TRADE)
- Easy day scored the highest NPS of 70.83
- It was followed by D-Mart with an NPS measuring 62.3
- Moreover, Big Bazaar had an NPS of 60.71
- And, Foodworld’s NPS came out to be 45.45
- Additionally, Hypercity managed an NPS measuring 44
- And, More’s NPS was incredibly low at 29.31
Amazon, the second most used online grocery, outscores the competition in this space probably because of its halo effect. However, we do see Big Basket and Grofers providing amongst the best customer experience that seems to justify its market position. In the offline retail space, the incumbent leader – Big Bazaar, is going to face a stiff competition from the challengers, D-Mart and Easyday, who offer better customer experience.
-Amitayu Basu, CEO, Numr Research
SALES AND PROMOTION (ONLINE GROCERY AND SUPERMARKETS)
Do sales/ promotion encourage you to buy products from an app/ store?
Where do you usually come across sales and promotion information?
Listen to Amitayu Basu, CEO, Numr speak about the importance of Net Promoter Score for Grocery Apps and Supermarkets
The survey was conducted among the inhabitants of Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Bangalore, Chennai, Kolkata, and Ahmedabad. At the time of the survey, all the respondents were between 25 to 60 years of age. Also, the survey respondents were affluent vehicle owners. Additionally, they were also avid moviegoers and extremely aware of the changing technological trends.
*NPS® or Net Promoter Score® is a metric for calculating customer satisfaction and loyalty. Moreover, it is a proven indicator of Growth. It is based off a single question, that is, “On a scale of 0-10, how likely are you to recommend (a company or a service) to you friends, family or colleagues?” Customers who give a score of 6 or less are called Detractors. Those who give 7 or 8 are Passives where as those who give 9 or 10 are Promoters. Then, the NPS is calculated by subtracting the percentage of Detractors from the Promoters.
* NPS® is the registered trademark of Bain & Company, Satmetrix and Fred Reichheld.